The simplest way to prepare a green smoothie is with bananas, greens and water. I call this one Green ‘n’ Clean Smoothie.
- 60 ounces
- 10 medium-size bananas
- ¼ to ⅔ pound of a single kind of greens (my preference is romaine lettuce)
- 8 ounces of water
- Blend to desired thickness, adding the greens after first blending the bananas and water for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Be sure your bananas are ripe! They should be spotted and golden!
- Try romaine, spinach, dandelion, chard or kale. Be sure to rotate greens throughout each week.
- Start off with a minimal amount of greens per smoothie and work your way up to a ¼ pound, or a large handful, or more.
- Use fewer bananas for a smaller meal. A medium-size banana contains 105 calories.
- Adding more water creates a smoother smoothie.
- I highly recommend using a high-powered blender such as a Vitamix blender, outfitted with variable speed and a tamper, or wand, to push food into its blade. With this blender, it’s not necessary to use any water in preparing smoothies.
Watch a Fruit-Powered Video of Brian Rossiter Explaining the Benefits of Green Smoothies and Making Green ‘n’ Clean Smoothie
Editor of Fruit-Powered.com, Fruit-Powered Digest and Fruit-Powered Video, Brian Rossiter guides health seekers in creating supreme vitality through the Fruit-Powered Life Force Center’s natural health services: the Fruit-Powered Lifestyle Coaching Program and Posture Exercises Method. Brian, who enjoys a low-fat raw food diet and posture correction exercises and calisthenics, is also the author of the raw food transition and recipe books Alive!, A Taste of Raw Food: 7 Days of Smoothies ’n’ Salads and the four-volume Mouthwatering Recipe Book Series.