There are some raw vegan diets that allow you to experience health improvement, but there is only one that also allows you to have optimal health … the best health your genetics will allow you to have … to thrive throughout your entire life. Discovering this version of a raw vegan diet is key if you want optimal health.
Don Bennett’s Tips on How to Be Successful on a Raw Vegan Diet
Keep in mind, the following tips are the result of 40 years of research, my 25 years on a raw vegan diet, and 15 years of working with raw vegans who didn’t thrive following the diet.
How to Be Successful on a Raw Vegan Diet Includes Determining What Your Goals Are
1. Remember why you’re doing this, and that anything new can be difficult at first, and that this is an investment in your future health. So when you encounter bumps in the road, keep these things in mind.
2. Decide how important your health is to you. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst health you can have and 10 being the best health your genetics will allow you to have, what level do you want to be at? If it’s 6, you have a bunch of options when it comes to diet. If it’s 5, now you can eat as much of that diet as you want. But if you want the best odds of never getting a diagnosis of something serious, that comes with level 10. And level 10 makes it easy to choose a diet because there are no options. You’d need to eat the diet that humans are biologically adapted to eat (along with making sure that you’re getting enough of all the nutrients your body requires to be able to provide you with optimal health).
How to Be Successful on a Raw Vegan Diet Includes Basing Your Knowledge on Natural Hygiene
3. Base your health practices on the “Science of Health.” Natural Hygiene is the scientific application of the principles of nature in the restoration and preservation of health. More on Health101.org/nh.
4. There’s no such thing as “the raw food diet.” There are poor, better and best versions. So, there’s “a” raw food diet. Choose the one that can allow you to experience optimal health (thriving), and not one that allows for just improved health.
How to Be Successful on a Raw Vegan Diet Includes Understanding the Role of Nutrition
5. “Diet” should be thought of as the foods you’re eating. But there’s also “nutrition,” and that’s the nutrients those foods should be providing. So these are actually two separate issues, and both issues should be researched. In other words, don’t assume that if you’re eating the foods of the diet you’re biologically adapted to eat that you’ll automatically get enough of all the nutrients your body requires for optimal health because that would be an incorrect assumption.
6. Support. Make sure you have a support network. Join online forums, find some online friends who are doing what you’re doing, go to raw food fruitlucks and events, especially an event like the Woodstock Fruit Festival, the premiere raw vegan event, with people attending from all around the world.
7. Treat any failures as learning experiences. There’s nothing wrong with two steps forward and one step back as long as you learn something from it.
How to Be Successful on a Raw Vegan Diet Includes Finding Accurate Information
8. Remembering these two important points can help reduce the potential for fails:
- The most popular information is not necessarily the most accurate.
- If a book or program has a lot of accurate information, this does not mean that all the information is accurate.
9. The importance of accurate information. There’s nothing worse than transitioning to a diet that’s supposed to be healthier, but your health starts to go downhill at some point. So I advise learning not as a student but as a researcher. The difference is that students don’t tend to question what they’re taught; they may ask questions of clarification, but they don’t challenge anything they hear. Researchers question everything. And this is why “multisource education” is the best way to learn because of all the misinformation in the raw vegan community. Remember: What can sabotage your efforts at eating the healthiest of diets is what you know that isn’t so.
Don Bennett is an insightful, reality-based author and health creation counselor who uses the tools in his toolbox — like logic, common sense, critical thinking and independent thought — to figure out how to live so you can be optimally healthy. More about Don’s books here.