Itsy Sweeney shares her Top 8 Tips for a content body and mind. Itsy is a holistic health practitioner, earning a bachelor’s degree from Clayton College of Natural Health. She is a licensed massage therapist, specializing in neuromuscular therapy, and certified hypnotherapist. Itsy is also a professional raw food chef, earning a certification in raw food nutritional science from Sprout Raw Food in Roswell, Georgia.
Itsy’s deep understanding of human anatomy, body systems and function of the body, combined with common sense and decision-making abilities, make her a knowledgeable and confident practitioner. Itsy is a dynamic and passionate speaker with a sincere interest in sharing knowledge and promoting healthy lifestyles. Follow Itsy on YouTube, Facebook and Meetup.com.
1. Eat a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in their most natural state and organic, if possible. Eat slowly and take time to thoroughly enjoy the flavors and textures.
2. Listen to your body when it comes to rest. If you are feeling tired, it is always better to rest when needed. Learn some breathing techniques and some progressive relaxation to practice throughout the day and to help you sleep better at night. If you have trouble sleeping, it may help you to see a hypnotherapist or to purchase a sleep album to listen to as you drift off to sleep. Misting some essential oils such as lavender or chamomile on your pillow before you lay down may also help.
3. Take time to move your body every day. If you’re not used to exercising, start out with walking. Walk outside if possible. The fresh air lifts spirits. I am a big believer in good, old-fashioned calisthenics. Do some jumping jacks, some push-ups, a bit of sprinting here and there and play some frisbee or badminton. Exercise should be fun, not drudgery. So go out and look for something that is fun to do and find someone fun to do it with!
4. Clean air and clean water are two essential things for a healthy life. Seek these things out as though your life depends on them because, in a way, it does! If you live in an area where the air is not so clean, make it a point to get to clean areas often and take in all the fresh air you can! Same goes for the water you drink. If you have the choice to live somewhere where you have spring water or well water that can be tested for heavy metals and chemicals, you might want to check into that.
5. Get as much life-giving sunshine on your skin as you can safely. Vitamin D is very important for your health. It seems many people these days are Vitamin D deficient. Take time to expose your skin to the sun without allowing yourself to get burned.
6. Emotional balance is something we all struggle with at one point or another in our lives. Keep emotional balance by practicing not being offended by things people say or do and not taking things personally. Always look for ways to be of service to others. Learn techniques of meditation either by silence or guided-meditation albums that have suggestions that suit your needs at the time. Forgive yourself and others for any and all shortcomings—we all have them, and it’s OK. Be kind and loving to yourself always, as if you were a small child in need.
7. Don’t take life too seriously! Learn to laugh at yourself and let go of unneeded stress, tension and worry in your life. Keep life simple, do the things that make you happy and be with those who make you happy. Ask yourself in all your words and actions, “Will what I am about to say or do bring me peace or disharmony?” Go with peace.
8. Have self-love, self-care and self acceptance. Once I learned to look myself in the mirror and liked what I saw, the outside world completely changed to reflect back to me the love that was growing in my heart. Learn what your triggers are that take you out of balance. Recognize them, notice them and turn toward the direction of what brings you peace. Lastly, accept yourself always. We all make wrong and unhealthy decisions at some point in our lives, and we all make mistakes. These are the things that bring us to learning to be our best selves. Be as patient with yourself as you would a child. After all, we are learning as long as we are living. Be kind to yourself now and always. You won’t regret it!
Check out Itsy Sweeney’s transformation story!
Hungry for more? Check out Itsy’s recipe for The Most Refreshing Summer Drink Ever!